Don't worry too much...
via Instagram http://ift.tt/1EAWUoA
I am not concerned with my own salt intake at all to be
honest. A bag of tortilla chips has
115mg of sodium per serving and 13 servings in the bag. Even if I were to eat the entire bag, that’s
only 65% of my recommended daily intake.
And I rarely eat them at all, let alone the whole bag. I cook almost all of my own food to begin
with, and add only trivial amounts of salt.
Besides, the FDA’s guidelines are at odds with many recent findings in
the medical community that show ideal sodium intake level to be far above what
the guidelines recommend, sometimes as
high as four- to six-thousand milligrams.[1] And even that literature is inconsistent with
other studies. My take away is that it’s
not nearly as important of an indicator of cardiovascular risk as we have
historically perceived it to be.
[1] http://www.wsj.com/articles/recommended-salt-levels-could-do-more-harm-than-good-study-suggests-1407964274
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.